Friday, April 26, 2019

Famous Last Words: The last class day before Dead Week

So, it’s the second-to-last week of this class, and here I am, scrambling to get extra credit. (Story of my life it feels like.) I decided to do the “Famous Last Words” post because it seemed like a good way to just write.

Outside of this class, I don’t exactly do a lot of writing. I do no writing at work (apart from emails), and while I do need to write some things for my language classes, it’s more about my ability to translate them than to focus on the writing. I think my best writing this week was definitely finishing up my Storybook with the epilogue. It might have run a little long, but I’ll make my revision project for next week to go over it and shorten it a little. I think it came out pretty well. I’ve had the idea on how to end my Storybook for a while, but I didn’t want to write it out before I finished the other stories, so I didn’t have it fully fleshed out until I sat down to write. I’m fairly happy with it.

I feel the need to mention something Dr. Barnes said last week as well, since it’s relevant. As I’ve mentioned, she’s a psychology professor at OU, but she’s also a published author, and teaches some writing classes in the Gaylord College of Journalism. During a lab meeting last week, someone asked her if she formed parasocial relationships (one-sided relationships) with the characters she writes in her books. Her immediate response was, “No, I am their god.” After we all finished laughing, she explained that writing a novel is more revision than actual writing, and it’s hard to form a relationship with a character who you can make disappear at a moment’s notice. Whether or not the character makes it to the final version of the book depends on what Dr. Barnes (and her editor) decide. 

I’m not saying this is how Dr. Barnes looked when she said that, but it kinda is. (Source)

Now that it’s the last class day before Dead Week, the familiar panic is starting to set in. Hopefully this is the last time I have a Dead Week as an undergrad (Dear god please let this be the last), but I feel a lot of pressure from myself to study, especially for my science class, since I really need to pass that one. (I may or may not be procrastinating preparing for that final by working on stuff for this class...)

Let the Dead Week panic begin!

Because I’m suppressing all feelings of panic. Zoidberg understands. (Source)

1 comment:

Shaun Beck said...

I do agree with you on how much extra credit I am having to do but overall I enjoy writing. Most of my major is writing since I am a professional writing major. I am glad that you have been inspired to write this semester. Writing relieves stress and is wonderful when trying to sort out so many thoughts that go through our heads especially when we deal with so many things in our everyday lives. Good luck with finals and Keep going strong.