Thursday, January 24, 2019

Topic Brainstorm: What to Choose


I already had the idea for one topic in mind, but I managed to come up with other topics to consider. Honestly, I may have issues with selecting which topic to go with! So, in no particular order:


(Source: Fancywork)

This is the first idea that I had: a shop that features textiles like yarn, thread, and woven things. Someone comes into the shop and asks about various items, and the proprietor tells the myth behind the item. This would definitely allow for exploration of various cultures, from Greek to Chinese to Native American, and as someone who likes to knit and crochet this would definitely be a topic I can write about. Also I hate my boyfriend because he came up with the perfect name for the shop: Spin Me a Yarn.



(Source: Vector Cartoons)

At first I thought this could just be a pet shop where the animals are from different stories (example: Puss from Puss in Boots), but then I realized that was probably way too broad a topic, so instead we’re going to go with a mythological creatures pet shop, where Cerberus and Chinese dragons are waiting for someone to come adopt them. 


(Source: The Comic Strips)

So as a psych major this seems like a fun way to combine the class with my degree. It could be fun to look at the myths behind various terms in psychology. This may end up involving a lot of Greek/Roman mythology, since those were the main influences for a lot of the words used in English (for example: Narcissus, Oedipus, etc.), but I think there are some psychological terms that don’t come from Latin. I’d have to look more into that though.





(Source: Reddit)

Honestly I love the idea of the Four Horsemen. There’s a lot of modern stories that feature the Four Horsemen in some way, such as books or TV shows (any Supernatural fans out there?), but I don’t think there’s a lot of stuff that’s in the public domain, so this one may be a little hard to do. Still, it’s a fun idea and if I can play around with it enough I can probably come up with something (maybe the Four Horsemen telling stories of stuff they’ve done individually in other cultures? Hm…)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Madison,

I was browsing the blog stream for some extra commenting and came across your brainstorm post. For what it’s worth, I think the idea of a textiles project sounds super cool. There are definitely many ways to include stories from a variety of cultures with this topic. I hope your project works out and I look forward to reading it.

-Andy

SpencerKunz said...

Hey, Madison!

I love the ideas of the yarn shop and pet store! These are two super creative ideas that lend themselves perfectly to a story anthology -- you can write about anything, as long as it ties into the theme, and you have a perfect backdrop which connects all the different myths together. I'm excited to see how the project shapes up later in the semester!